Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Weekend Workshop with Jenna

Last Friday and Saturday, I participated in a one-on-one photography workshop in Murfreesboro, TN, taught by a photographer I want to be like when I grow up (never mind she's 12 years younger than me). Jenna Henderson, of jHenderson Studios, graciously agreed to host me and share her expertise - both in classroom (a local Mimi's Cafe) and during a real shoot with a friend she lined up to model for me! Do you believe that?

You may remember me talking about Jenna. I first met her via phone through my niece Shea (they went to HS together). She happily spent about an hour with me, talking to me about lenses, cameras, school, lighting, etc. A few months later, we actually met Jenna in Chattanooga when she took our family photos. You know, the ones I posted to facebook, have on my desktop, in my home on my phone and used for holiday cards? I pretty much have those suckers everywhere.

Anyway, when I sheepishly first asked Jenna to do this for me shortly after our family session, I had no idea what to expect. Honestly, I would have been happy with any time she was willing to spare. That said, I was really blown away by the time, care and thought she spent in planning the lesson, covering what I wanted to talk about, then putting it into practice. I guess that's what any good teacher would do, but since this was just for ME, I was really thrilled.

We worked for most of the afternoon Friday on capturing the best light, getting me to get JoEllen to move how I wanted (new territory for me, but a great exercise) and just working on the details. I posted a few pics here. Saturday we focused on editing and the business side of photography. All great stuff!

And, if you forgot, I included a few of my faves from our sesson with Jenna in August. Oh, and she blogged about me too! Check out her take here. I would spend some time on her site in general if you're interested. Her photos are wonderful, and you may even spot a few Anderson pics. Thanks again Jenna!

No comments: