Friday, May 8, 2009

Army Strong

This week (Thursday and Friday) Bill, the kids and I attended my brother Ian's Army basic training graduation in Fort Jackson, SC. My brother's wife Angela (6 months pregnant), daughter, my dad, and step-mom drove up from Miami/Tampa, respectively, and my oldest brother Joel drove down from Philly. Lucky for us it's also only about 35 minutes south of where Bill's sister lives so we've seen a whole lot o' family on this trip. Unfortunately, we were just shy of everyone -- missing my brother Jason et al who is home recovering from surgery. Nonetheless, it was great to see everyone who made the trip.

The last two days were amazing. While I consider myself patriotic, I've never been one to pay that much attention to our military. Shame on me, I know. My dad, grandfathers and uncles served, and I've had friends join various branches of the armed services, but I didn't really have that strong of an opinion one way or another -- it certainly wasn't for me personally. But, after this week, I feel much different.

Ian (28) has slowly but surely gotten himself together over these last few years. He's gone back to college, married, taken on responsibilities as a step-parent and matured before our very eyes (although he'd still prefer someone else to do his laundry). And, while he's still that same kid I've known all my life, I believe the Army has helped him take that next step -- as I'm sure it has for all of those 1,300 young men and women I saw before me yesterday and today. These are courageous, self-sacrificing Americans who enlisted during wartime and who take their new role as protectors of our land and people very seriously. I'm so proud my brother has joined their ranks. He still has 20 more weeks of training (and safety) before he's stationed somewhere (hopefully Georgia, as in state of) for his next post, and this will come either immediately before or right after the birth of his first child, Liam, this September. That's a lot for this young family or any family to handle, but I'm confident my brother is prepared.

Anyway, below are some pics from the trip. My boys are so excited they have a real live "army guy" in their family. Come to think of it, I am too. Way to go brother!
Above was the soldiers' entrance. No one was on the field at the time -- it was quiet. Then, someone yelled over the loud speakers, "ARE YOU READY TO SEE YOUR SOLDIERS???" as colored smoke bombs were lobbed from the forest that lined the parade grounds. Seconds later 1,000+ soldiers and their drill sergeants came pouring out through the trees and smoke. Now, I ask you -- is your hair standing up on the back of your neck? It was incredible, and of course I immediately burst into tears. The roar of the crowd was deafening.


First hug with mom -- thank goodness for a long lens. I was so afraid I was going to miss this!


Hold on tight

I love this photo of my dad and Ian. Goes to show you that you're always a kid to your parents, no matter how old you get -- I just love that. I really thought my dad was going to explode with pride.



Private Jack, and
Private Sam

Pamela and Ian. Never get tired of seeing Vandervalk in print on a uniform!

No comments: