Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Love My Job

Today was a good day. It's not every day I claim to love my job, but TODAY I LOVE MY JOB. I'm in Tampa, and if you have a pulse you must know that most of the football world has descended upon this lovely town for the Super Bowl. Me too as of this morning.

Today I got to spend with NFL quarterback Jay Cutler. My PR client is working with him on a diabetes program that's geared toward kids with the disease and raising money to help them go to diabetes summer camps (check out http://www.inspiredbydiabetes.com/). The program has been my baby for almost three years and signing Jay was a BIG BIG deal for us (me). Besides the fact that I'm a crazy football fan and working with Jay is just, well...cool; through him we have a terrific opportunity to raise awareness of this condition that strikes young and old and is the 5th leading cause of death in the US. So, if I can have a small hand in Jay's ability to touch and inspire kids who are struggling with diabetes, then that's okay with me. We always say PR doesn't cure cancer, but in these instances I do feel like what I do makes a difference.

Anyhoo, below are some pics of Day 1 with Jay - video shoot and sporadic picture taking by me. I did my best to avoid any "I carried a watermelon" moments (see also Dirty Dancing for phrase reference and context) - I've had one with every celebrity I've worked with so far doing this job of mine - and was pretty pleased with my ability to act natural during dinner. It's not every day I get to hang with a Pro-Bowler - even one who's only 24, and it was fun hearing about draft day, time spent at Vandy and his weakness for Reese's peanut butter cups - ha ha. Jay is a super guy with a bright future, and I'm looking forward to Days 2 and 3 as well as our other activities this year. It's great that he's using his voice so other kids know that anything is possible.






2 comments:

VizWiz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VizWiz said...

Wow! Congrats Tracy! It's so great that you get to do what you love. Having gotten serious about my photography (serious, but not necessarily good), I can only imagine the fun you are having.

Great pictures! Keep up the good work and let me know if there is anything I can do for you.