Saturday, January 31, 2009

Days 2 & 3 with Jay - Super Bowl Heaven

I've had the best week of my life. Other than my wedding day and the births of my two kiddos, no series of days can compare to the three I just had in Tampa. My head almost exploded today thinking about all the football greats I saw: Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Michael Strahan and many more, as well as two of my country music faves Faith Hill and Tim McGraw (they posed for me, see below). I just couldn't believe I was there and seeing through my own eyeballs.

And, the work I did was hardly that at a local hospital with Jay and about 50 kids with diabetes; it was over in a flash. Jay was amazing and made everyone feel at ease. He signed every autograph, took every photo and just hung out and talked with these kids and their parents. Jay's also a total pro with the media and got in every mention of our program possible - without sounding stiff. He looked at the messages once for about 3 minutes, and that's all he needed. If we were only that lucky with all our celebs.

But, no offense Jay, the ultimate was when I met Matt Stafford - QB (former, sniff sniff) of my beloved Georgia Bulldogs. I almost peed my pants. I actually got the nerve up and introduced myself - first to his dad and then to Matt. He and his dad were so nice and took a few minutes to chat with me while I prayed I didn't have anything stuck in my braces from breakfast. (A quick check later assured me I didn't - phew.)

Even though I wasn't able to get autographs from everyone (except for the BEAUTIFUL regulation-size football Jay signed for me), the memories and the photos will last forever. There are so many stories, so many funny and sweet things that happened, it would take up too much room here to write it all down (so just ask me when you see me - I'm happy to tell it all over again). Note: not all of these shots are museum quality - I was just trying to keep my hands steady and not pass out.


The Lombardi Trophy - sure wish the helmet on the right was green with a silver wing on it.


Is this guy gorgeous or what? Future #1 pick Matt Stafford.


Jay in the crush of autograph seekers following Mike and Mike



Greenie and Golic on set with Jay


Faith and Tim - that's no zoom, I was that close


Little Sam showing Jay he was a big boy (at 4) and could check his own blood sugar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your blog - very cool! -Wendy