Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Life imitates art?

So my little town of Suwanee is all a buzz about our new City Hall that's about to open its doors next week. The new Hall is across from the old Hall (where I visited once to pay a traffic ticket -- oops) in the beautiful Suwanee Town Center Park. The building is pretty -- marble facade (actually I read it's marble veneer which is lighter than plywood -- gee, I hope it stays up), but it didn't arrive controversy-free. The building cost 7.2 million dollars and is set to house Suwanee's City Council -- all 150 of them -- in 23,600 square feet! Doesn't that seem a bit much? A bit showy, even for one of Forbes' 10 best US cities to live? Of course there's more planned for the space -- traffic court will now be there (something I hope to avoid even though Suwanee police seem to be out in force lately. Maybe to offset some of the $7.2 mil perhaps?) But really, that's not even why I chose to dedicate some blog time to this today.

Take a look at the below two photos. One is life (our new City Hall), and the other is art (if I have to tell you what this photo is, you obviously didn't grow up in the mid-late 70s, early 80s.) Is it possible the architect was also a child of the 70s and just had this building subliminally imprinted somewhere in his brain? Anyway, the similarities are astounding. We even have a fountain in front of our building -- just like Metropolis.

The best part is though, I've convinced Sam and Jack that the building is actually called The Hall of Justice...too funny. I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes peeled for Superman and The Green Lantern.

No comments: