Saturday, November 15, 2008

Rust Can Be Beautiful?

I visited the Southeastern Railway Museum http://www.srmduluth.org/ today for a photo field trip. As usual it took me about 45 minutes to figure out what I wanted to shoot, but then it got fun. I never thought that rust could be beautiful. It's rust, right? Whatever it covers you're gonna end up throwing out. But, after two hours of climbing in and out of these aging beasts, and wriggling around on my knees and belly for a bunch of shots, I found myself appreciating the grime.

The museum has some really cool trains - old Amtrak sleeper cars, MARTA cars and several working trains that will take the little ones back and forth for a short ride. It's also super cheap to get in - 8$ for adults/4$ for kids under 12. It's worth the visit. Today they even had Santa - on a train. Anyway, below are a few shots from the day. Choo choo!




No comments: