Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Time marches on

Yesterday was a big day in the Anderson household. Sam started Kindergarten and both boys began what I hope is a life-long love affair with sports when they attended their first t-ball practice. The school thing was more exciting for me than the boys I think. For them, it was a reason to get new clothes and cool sneakers - although both boys ARE wild about books (thankfully) and do love their school and teachers (hooray!). Jack told me the other day that he wants to learn, and when I asked him "learn about what?" he replied, "I just want to learn." I really hope he and Sam carry that philosophy throughout their lives as there is just so much out there to learn every day. Like for instance, did you know that a grouping of owls is called a parliament? I sure didn't - thanks Dad.

On to t-ball. After some late-night trade negotiations between the Cardinals and Royals, I managed to get an ace right-hander traded to his older brother's team (an apparent paperwork malfunction caused the two to be assigned to different clubs). But, lucky for them I minored in ESPN, and I know who Scott Boras is, so I know all about no-trade clauses, arbitration and the rookie minimum. This year it's cookies, Powerade and matching baseball pants. Not bad for a day's work in between conference calls, eh?

The boys loved practice, and while it will be a LONG year (I think all the 4-year-olds are on the Cardinals), Bill and I are looking forward to lots of laughs. We got the first few last night when Jack fielded the ball then ran it to first base instead of throwing it there. He sure is speedy though around the bases. And, if we can convince Sam that he doesn't have to hit a home run at every bat and that he actually has to play defense and can't bat all the time, we'll be in good shape!

They are both growing up so fast -- something that makes me weepy and happy at the same time . . .




2 comments:

patty said...

please, please, please make sure we know the schedule because we have to make at least one game!

VizWiz said...

You're going to love t-ball. I coached Oscar's team in the fall (I'm sure that really surprises you) and I loved it. My goals for the season were: (1) they're all able to hit a coach pitched ball, (2) they all run the right direction, (3) we get a couple of outs each game.

It was such a rewarding experience for me and I'm sure it will be for you and the boys too. Good luck!!